In 1961, the Kennedys converted the room formerly known as “Lincoln’s Bedroom,” located on the second floor in the west wing of the White House, into a family dining space that’s now known as “The President’s Dining Room.” They painted the walls and brought in their own Louis XVI furniture.
However, even White House dining room sets are not above critique. Following the recommendation of Henry Du Pont and Sister Parish, this room was furnished with antiques in the American Federal style. An early 1800’s wooden pedestal table made in Massachusetts became the centerpiece, surrounded by eight shield back side chairs with tooled white leather cushions set over a contemporary stitch-pattern carpet. Two shaded blue silk curtains, designed by Stephane Boudin, draped the windows, and wood block printed paper from 1853, featuring images of the American Revolution, covered the walls. Three silver service pieces that belonged to Andrew Jackson sat on the sideboard, because Benjamin Harrison’s fine china was often used as the place settings.
The Johnson administration made no changes to this décor. Even Nixon limited his changes to the carpet, which was swapped out for one of a historical design. The Fords replaced that with an oriental rug, … Read the rest