While determining the right materials for your decks and porches project, go for a choice that balances form, function and budget alike. Some choices of materials for your decks and porches have been discussed below:
- Wood: If you have a plethora of choices but paucity of funds, consider investing in the pressure-treated southern Pine for your outdoor construction. You can easily enhance its aesthetic appeal by going for clear lumber of higher-grade. All you require for maintenance would be regular cleaning and periodic staining/sealing. Consider mixing materials like metal pickets to keep your deck and porch remain durable for a longer time.
- Composite: Since its inception almost 20 years back, composite decking has just been improving. You may have observed that basic composite almost looks like synthetic version of painted wood. You can add synthetic railing to it, to reduce long-term maintenance and achieve superior long-term performance.
- Exotic hardwoods: If you’re looking for materials that are naturally decay-resistant, consider going for alternative choices such as cedar or redwood. These are elegant choices, and you would surely need to put in efforts for their maintenance. Exotic imports such as Ipe, Cumaru or Brazilian Cherry are expensive, but elegant choices.
Other aspects you need to remember while working on your porches and decks:
- Color: Color can magically influence the visual perception of your porches and decks. Choosing the right color is often an afterthought when working on decks or porches. You can easily maximize the enjoyment and accentuate the best features of your outdoor spaces by choosing the correct color combination. Make sure you keep in mind the orientation of the sun when choosing the right color.
- Utility: Some people embellish their decks and porches to enjoy quiet evenings, some of them beautify them for barbecue parties while others have their own reasons. When designing your porch or deck, make sure you work out a design after considering your personal requirement and upkeep expectations from the project.
- Location: Your deck should be given at least 2 meters of depth. You can consider screens for privacy, and keep height of your deck into consideration. Make sure your deck and porch plans do not interfere with any running plumbing or electrical systems.